Wednesday, February 7, 2018

February 7, 2018 - Holden Evening Prayer Around the World - I am the Servant of my God, I Live to Do Your Will


There were twelve gathered at Creator together with Matt, who led us in singing Holden Evening Prayer tonight.

The twelve of us locally were joined by others globally however, including three congregations within our metro area, in offering Holden Evening Prayer tonight.

Once a year Holden invites participation in this Lutheran vesper in their words to support and draw strength from one another and reaffirm our values as people who are called, equipped, and sent, and supporting each other’s work in stewardship and justice for all people.

This is a rich, contemplative vesper and, depending on what is currently on my soul when I am participating, different parts seem to directly address what I am focused on. Tonight I was taken by Mary's words in the last line of the Annunciation leading to the Magnificat "I am the servant of my God,  I live to do your will."

This upcoming worship on Sunday will celebrate the transfiguration. During the transition from the season of Epiphany into Lent, the transfiguration is a pivot point in the narrative of the church year. At the beginning of the Epiphany season, at the Baptism of Our Lord, in the Gospel reading we hear our Father's voice say, of Jesus, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.” Now at the conclusion of the Epiphany season, at the Transfiguration of Our Lord,  we hear this voice again saying , “This is my beloved Son; listen to him.”

After the transfiguration Jesus travels to Jerusalem. There he will not to be recognized as Lord by design as Jesus commands to be kept hidden. Rather he is prepared to take up the cross. This journey to Jerusalem will be followed through to Holy Week. For strength along this journey we can have the Father's voice accompanying us saying, “This is my beloved Son; listen to him.” God's command here helps us in our lives as we pray with Mary, "I am the servant of my God,  I live to do your will.".

Since my first Holden Evening Prayer I have always felt strong affirmation during the transition from the Annunciation to the Magnificat. Tonight I understood that part of this comes with the movement made from a piece with soloists to the group response of the Magnificat. This echoes in music something important in how we move from our desire to first listen and discern God's will. This desire and discernment then comes together with others as a group response, just as the individuals from Creator became part of some greater whole tonight.

And this is what I believe is a strength that comes in Holden's invitation to participate in this vesper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 14, 2024 - Third Sunday of Easter - The Road to Crucifixion and Jesus' First Appearance in the Passover Supper Room

Our recent Sunday worship Gospel readings reveal that the road Jesus takes to Jerusalem together with his invitation to table fellowship con...