Friday, March 30, 2018

March 29, 2018 - Maundy Thursday - Dirty Feet and Lavender Water

Pastor Ray told the Maundy Thursday this way. On the night before he died, Jesus ate with his disciples and then began to wash their feet. Pastor Ray pointed out that this task was traditionally reserved for the lowest of all the servants. Some servants wanted to refuse to do it. After all, livestock roamed the marketplace and droppings combined with the dust from unpaved roads made sandal-strapped feet quite filthy.

We like our faith to be very spiritual and cerebral, Pastor Ray explained. Jesus, by example, will have none of that. And certainly I am guilty of being attracted to the cerebral and spiritual. In past posts I wrote about how I understand the Triduum worship. I explored Dante's Divine Comedy on Maundy Thursday considering that is the day starts. I wrote about the dichotomies of betrayals, that there was more than Judas as a betrayer.

This blog, Worship Journeys, Meditations and Stories, is necessarily recording life in a cerebral way. I may experience meaning through action but I interpret and communicate that meaning cerebrally.

Obviously I understand the importance of action and love. Yet when Jesus rebukes Peter's protest over washing his feet with his response "Unless I wash you, you have no share with me" I was not filled with the wisdom of this teaching as in past years but suddenly felt a mixture of feelings. Jesus is laying down a law here. Yes he is Lord and probably it is best for Peter to be guided in this way. However, those who serve don't normally lay down ultimatums.

I understand Peter's confusion this year.

I don't care about the comforts Pastor Ray referred to in his Mediation - leather clad Bibles or cushions where I sit. I am open to those who prefer what they consider action to downplay something cerebral as "just talk". Sometimes I feel the same way myself. The same courtesy, however, could be extended by those who swear by action. Yet it seems what is spiritual about Jesus ends up being overwhelmed in the emphasis on his physical acts, healing, and miracles.

I find John's depiction makes Jesus out to be very pushy and sure of himself. My way or the highway. The only one who is not clean is Judas. What he is thinking makes him unclean but Peter's upcoming denial I'll overlook. I am going to wash everyone's feet whether they are comfortable with it or not.

I hear the traditional church more than I hear the voice of the Jesus in this Gospel. Dictating one path to salvation. Rather than persuading, he threatens to cut off. We follow that voice as well. We wash our feet and trim our toenails and put lavender in the water for the service.

What, then, must we do and where do we go from here?

1 comment:

September 29, 2024 - Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost - Coincidence or Providence?

  Pastor Emillie started her sermon by saying Esther is her favorite book in the Bible. She also pointed out a main point as she summarize...