Friday, April 7, 2023

April 6, 2023 - Maundy Thursday / Good Friday Service - From a Supper Table of Fellowship to Departing an Empty Altar in Silence

Creator commemorated both Maundy Thursday and Good Friday with one service tonight. When Pastor Steve first suggested this combination I found it hard at first to imagine the combination. What would the transition work. Yet last night's evening was memorable.

Susan's black and white art set a tone for the evening. There was a particular intimacy in the stark contrasts that those around me were commenting on, and that I felt as well, towards everyone who had gathered.

Pastor Steve emphasized the table fellowship. Communion distribution last night was done by groups of us gathered around the altar. The sermon's message was that we did this remembrance because we are the same as the disciples. In the end Jesus left a message, not for us to love only him, but for us to love one another. This was interesting because of a controversy I just recently discovered about the Last Supper. Apparently there is a question, did Jesus washed Judas' feet during the Last Supper? 

There are different interpretations of the Gospel accounts of the event. In the Gospel of John, it is explicitly mentioned that Jesus washed the feet of all the disciples, including Judas Iscariot:

"Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. 

He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, 'Lord, are you going to wash my feet?' Jesus replied, 'You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.' 'No,' said Peter, 'you shall never wash my feet.' Jesus answered, 'Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.' 'Then, Lord,' Simon Peter replied, 'not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!' Jesus answered, 'Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.' For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not everyone was clean. When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. 'Do you understand what I have done for you?' he asked them. 'You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.'" (John 13:3-15)

However, in the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke), the washing of the feet is not mentioned at all. Instead, they focus on the institution of the Lord's Supper, where Jesus tells his disciples that one of them will betray him:

"While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take and eat; this is my body.' Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.' When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives." (Matthew 26:26-30)

The absence of the foot-washing scene in the Synoptic Gospels has led some scholars to question its historicity, or whether it was a later addition to the Gospel of John. Others suggest that it was not mentioned in the Synoptics because it did not fit the narrative structure or theological emphasis of those Gospels.

In terms of the controversy specifically related to Judas, some scholars argue that it is unlikely that Jesus would have washed the feet of his betrayer, as it would have been seen as an act of honor and forgiveness. Others suggest that Jesus deliberately included Judas in the foot-washing to demonstrate the extent of his love and to offer him the opportunity to repent. Ultimately, the interpretation of the foot-washing scene and its relationship to the betrayal of Judas remains a matter of debate among scholars and theologians. The atmosphere of our remembrance last night left no doubt in my mind that Jesus did wash the feet of Judas. How could love act otherwise?

The empty altar at the end of this Maundy Thursday / Good Friday service remained a powerful symbol of the sacrifice and absence of Jesus Christ. We were reminded of the need to carry on his work of love and compassion in the world and to strive for a better, more just society. And this service held a new meaning as Creator is so close to calling a new pastor. We strip the altar of all the meaningful symbols of our faith so that we can evaluate and add back what remains meaningful to us. We may honor yet  leave behind once-meaningful traditions that no longer serve a purpose.

My wife Mary commented that we did not sing a favorite hymn of hers we traditionally sing on Good Friday. I am writing this on Good Friday so I sing this alone tonight to honor and reflect on this hymn's words and music. 

  1. O sacred Head, now wounded, with grief and shame weighed down,
    Now scornfully surrounded with thorns, Thine only crown;
    O sacred Head, what glory, what bliss till now was Thine!
    Yet, though despised and gory, I joy to call Thee mine.

  2. What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered, was all for sinners’ gain;
    Mine, mine was the transgression, but Thine the deadly pain.
    Lo, here I fall, my Savior! ’Tis I deserve Thy place;
    Look on me with Thy favor, vouchsafe to me Thy grace.

  3. What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest friend,
    For this Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end?
    O make me Thine forever, and should I fainting be,
    Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to Thee.

  4. Be Thou my consolation, my shield when I must die;
    Remind me of Thy passion when my last hour draws nigh.
    Mine eyes shall then behold Thee, upon Thy cross shall dwell,
    My heart by faith enfolds Thee. Who dieth thus dies well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 15, 2024 - Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost - The Way of the Messiah Through Self-Giving, Not Domination

The way of the Messiah transforms the world. A breath-taking claim, why should it be keep a secret from the world? For the disciples and the...