Thursday, March 3, 2016

March 2, 2016 - Third Wednesday Worship in Lent / Open My Life, Lord - Open My Ears

Shirley and Vaune led Holden Evening Prayer with Pastor Michelle and a familiarity returned.

It was not only my history of hearing Shirley's and Vaune's voices but that a trio of leaders created new ways for the music and lyrics to interweave with the congregational voices.

This was fitting for this evenings theme of Open My Ears.  What I listened to created a momentary, sacred space the way it often does.  As I reflected on the service later in the evening the presence of that sacred space was with me again.

Last week the words of Psalm 141 were powerful.  This week I thought about the words "Let my prayer rise up, like incense before you, the lifting up of my hands, as an offering to you. Oh God, I call to you, come to me now; oh hear my voice as I call to you...Keep watch within me God, deep in my heart may the light of your love be burning bright...All praise be to Christ and the spirit of love."

Everything evoked is diminished when simply reading the words on the page or listening to the music without the words.  The words and the melody together has created that sacred space for the people who gather each Wednesday. Listening to this engages heart, mind, and soul.

Pastor Michelle gave the message.  She ended by emphasizing how important listening to each other will be in Creator's time of calling a pastor.  As the Transition Team works I hope we can incorporate this into how we explore our ministry and desires in One to Ones and / or Cottage Meetings.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 28, 2024 - Fifth Sunday of Easter - Abide In Me

"I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit." Pastor Emillie's sermon was about ...