Tuesday, June 22, 2021

June 17, 2021 - Creator and Central's Second Joint Emanuel 9 Commemoration - 2021

I was part of Creator's Emanuel 9 Commemoration. Among other volunteers Pastor Janell chose Shirley and I to speak alternately the petitions of Confessing Racism that evening: I hadn't had time to read the petitions beforehand and when asked who should read first. I chose Shirley because she was the first listed in the bulletin.
 
I have been part of the Synod's Reparations team since the 2020 Synod Assembly. I have been involved in the equity of call process and mobility, I was not confident in discerning what the next steps should be. I wondered if someone else might have a better imagination, more power in the system, or understanding to promote change in something so overwhelming.

Imagine my surprise when I, of everyone who participated. ended up voicing this particular petition for the church:

As church we lament the institutional racism of discriminatory treatment within the call process; inequitable compensation of clergy of color; racial segregation; divestment from black communities and congregations; systemic policies and organizational practices; and a failure to fully include the gifts of leadership and worship styles of black people, indigenous people, and people of color. God have mercy.

Any doubts whether part of the work on the  Reparations Team should focus on call and mobility dissolved. I will continue to be, at the very least, the best voice I can be, in confessing and lamenting the systemic policies and organizational practices of the church, whether or not the work can presently move anything or yield any results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 5, 2024 - Sixth Sunday of Easter - Remain in My Love... Love One Another

" Remain in my love... This I command you: love one another ." John 15:9-17 " Something's happening here, what it is ain&...