Saturday, July 18, 2026

July 18, 20226 _Chhristopher Nolan's Film: The Odyssey: A Mythical Journey:Homecoming

This film has been critically acclaimed, opening new ways of experiencing ancient texts. I will include reactions to the film here.
 
Nolan wants to create on the cutting edge of film technology, so this film navigates between its aim to be a potential blockbuster cultural event and a thoughtful arthouse project. 
 
What is causing controversy in the internet reactions that are flooding in, which are heaping high praise or trashing it disdainfully as not understanding the work at all. Nolan said the success of Oppenheimer led to the budget to make this film possible. This brought to mind Star Wars and Joseph Campbell.  
 
I don't approach Homer as sacred canon that every adaptation must obey. Nor do I think of The Odyssey as literal history that filmmakers have an obligation to reconstruct. I see Homer like Shakespeare or Arthurian legends; the poem has survived because each generation discovers it anew. The question isn't "Was this exactly in Homer?" but "Does this version make the story live again?"

Nolan's passion Is evident everywhere. What struck me most wasn't simply the spectacle; it was Nolan's obvious affection for the source material. Every creative decision feels made by someone who genuinely loves the epic. Nolan's writing reminded me of the excitement surrounding Guillermo del Toro's Frankenstein adaptation, but an artist deeply in conversation with a classic. That's the kind of adaptation I enjoy.

Rather than simply retelling the plot, Nolan delights in details that many audiences may not even recognize. For instance, there's Argos. Including Argos wasn't merely fan service. The reunion with Odysseus' faithful dog before he dies is one of the most moving moments in literature. Seeing it honored onscreen communicates that Nolan understands where Homer's emotional center lies. Including the depiction of Odysseus' hunting scar early in the narrative resonates. The dog and scar carry memory, identity, and recognition simultaneously. Bringing it into the film respects one of the poem's greatest storytelling inventions.

I appreciated the Circe and Calypso sequences. Rather than reducing them to fantasy figures, they felt emotionally and psychologically significant. Each represents a different temptation:
forgetting (with Calypso intentionally feeding him the lotus flowers, and therefore keeping him outside ordinary human life, and contributing to the difficult work of returning home. was brilliant to me. Circe turning the men into hogs was uncomfortable because it was not depicted as "magical". Both Circe and Calypso become mirrors reflecting temptations for Odysseus himself.

The way Athena's presence was another favorite moment. Odysseus sees Athena's face throughout the story. Her face turns out to be the face of a Trojan woman who is beheaded as Troy is sacked. The reveal of that face, which Athena has been presenting to Odysseus, was devastating; I think it also captured something Homer often does through language: the gods are present, disguised, intervening, revealing themselves at decisive moments, but it gives a nod to the psychological impact the war is having on him. 
 
Obviously, myths survive because artists reinterpret them. Homer himself inherited stories that were already centuries old. Every retelling, from Virgil to Joyce to Emily Wilson's translation to Nolan's film, is another conversation with the tradition. I told you how much I liked her translation of him being a complicated man rather than cunning. She just gave an interview where she jokingly defended the word by quoting Shaft: "He's a complicated man that no one understands but his woman." Which fits both Penelope and Odysseus

I could go on (it is a 3-hour film) but, for me, Nolan's The Odyssey succeeds because it feels like an act of love rather than an exercise in obligation. I never needed Homer treated as untouchable canon. I wanted to see a filmmaker engage imaginatively with one of humanity's great stories. The care shown to Argos, the scar, Circe, Calypso, and the inspired revelation of Athena all convinced me that Nolan wasn't simply adapting Homer; he was conversing with him and adjusting pieces of the story for a modern audience. That's exactly what living myths invite us to do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 26, 2026 Ruth Chapter 4 Hesed Evokes Hesed: God's Love Is Completed through Relationships

The way the story of Ruth both foreshadows what will happen and remains quietly astonishing as it ends. The story doesn't offer some dra...