Thursday, March 17, 2016

March 16, 2016 - Fifth Wednesday Worship in Lent / Open My Life, Lord - Open My Life

Craig and Janice provided the musical leadership tonight for Holden Evening Prayer.  Having the different leader's voices provided dimensions that, together with the five individual messages, the readings, Matt's musicianship and the feelings of those in the room each Wednesday, made each of our worship times in Lent unique.

Tonight's reading was Galatians 2:15-21

We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

But if, in seeking to be justified in Christ, we Jews find ourselves also among the sinners, doesn’t that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not!  If I rebuild what I destroyed, then I really would be a lawbreaker.

For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

Pastor Michelle spoke on the evening's subject, Open My Life, by testifying to how God opened and continues to open her life through prayer, scripture, and people she has met along the way some of whom she later referred to as angels.

She related that she did not grow up in the church but felt an invitation when she was told that she could believe in Christianity and not reject the theory of evolution.  As she put it "I didn't need to check my brain at the door".

From there Pastor Michelle detailed many "whispers of insight" she had received from God throughout her life.  She admitted as a "gypsy pastor" she never quite knows what is ahead but has faith she has been given all she needs for the life God has given her,

Her message made singing the words of The Magnificat afterwards much more heartfelt and personal.

Many people have asked me if it is not a bit repetitious and perhaps boring to come every Wednesday and "do the same thing".  Reflecting back what they likely are referring to is our centering on the Holden Evening Prayer vespers for five Wednesdays.  For me as I related in the opening, a different musical part of Holden Evening Prayer was highlighted and made memorable on each of the past few weeks.

All true gifts and invitations to let God open my life.  Open our lives together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April 28, 2024 - Fifth Sunday of Easter - Abide In Me

"I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit." Pastor Emillie's sermon was about ...